Tuesday, May 31, 2011

When is a hoarder ready for prime-time? (Part 2)

Well, here's what happened. As I previously wrote, I have a hoarding client that can't afford to pay for my services. She was convinced that the only way she could have her hoard cleaned up was to get on one of the hoarding reality T.V. shows. She desperately wanted to take this route.

I was able to assess her living condition and advised her strongly against choosing the reality T.V. route. This lovely gal has many mental health conditions that would be exacerbated by making such a choice. She already suffers from an anxiety disorder, by being on T.V. she might end up in a psychotic state.

I spoke to my client's therapist today before having a conversation with my client. I shared my concerns for our client if she were chosen for a reality show. The therapist was able to speak at length to our client and then I connected with the client today too.

We had a really nice conversation about the realities of reality T.V. She didn't think of the fact that the show would broadcast all over the world. It would be searchable by millions and be out there forever. Her fear and shame for the condition of her home would be exposed to the universe. How would the T.V. show benefit her. I had her write a list of the benefits and drawbacks, and as she did this I asked her to say them to me over the phone. The benefits list was really small and the drawback list was really long. After this exercise, she said that she no longer thought that it was a good idea to take part in a reality show. Instead, she was going to ask her family if they could financially help her out, so she could pay for my services. She felt good about that decision.

Reality T.V. might work for some, but not for those that have complex mental health issues. Such mental health issues could dangerously escalate under such conditions. I'm about minimizing my clients' anxieties, stress and trauma. If you are interested in finding out more about hoarding, please check out the International Obsessive Compulsive Foundation: http://www.ocfoundation.org. Please send me any comments you might have about this issue. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment