Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Challenges

I've blogged about a lot of professional organizing issues. I'm going to make a change here and talk a bit about my current challenges to hopefully spark a conversation.

This past March and April I had to have four back surgeries, due to complications over an initial surgery for a herniated disk from a car accident. The driver hit me head-on and my car was totaled and I was so lucky to only have minor injuries, instead of ending up flying down the canyon and ending in a fiery blaze.

As a professional organizer, my work is very physical. There was no way in heck I was going to throw in the towel and not be physical anymore. My back surgeries didn't stop me from being physical, and now I have to be so careful to strengthen my back in the healthiest way.

When I first came back home after spending almost a month in ICU, I could hardly walk. I never felt so weak. I had to start by getting my strength back. I started walking and went back to the gym (Anytime Fitness) where I had Carl (owner/trainer) revise my weekly workout to accommodate my new challenges with my lower back. He modified my workout, and I started out slow.

Unfortunately, I also gained some weight from not being able to workout for the past 3+ months. My work was cut-out for me. I had to change the way I eat. Portion control is a huge issue that I deal with. I have to specifically cut down on the amount of food I put on my plate. Also, my husband George has been studying a lot of different health sites, especially those that deal with healthy food combining.

Here's an easy definition: food combining is no singular diet, but a lasting new form of nourishment, with a small but important change of your nutritional habit.

How Food Combining works:
You can eat what you want.
You can eat how much you want.
You can combine food but never protein and carbohydrate.

Currently my challenge is to work-out on a daily basis. Today I wasn't able to go to my gym, so I worked out at home with my big workout ball, doing exercises on my yoga mat, using the ball for doing core exercises. I also took Louie for a walk, with was refreshing after a much needed rain here in Austin. I didn't do so well with the kind of food I ate today, but tomorrow I will strive to eat only healthy things and stick to the food combining rules.

This time of year will be a good challenge to drop weigh. Let's see what I can do in this department. Tomorrow's another day.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story and efforts. We all have times of challenge. Your courage and strength is inspiring to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Terry. Greatly appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete