Thursday, September 10, 2009

Me & the Flu

My last blog was about the H1N1 flu epidemic. I gave important and helpful information, which I took off of the CDC's website. The main reason I am so buggy about the flu is simple. A number of years ago I had the flu and I unfortunately ended up with viral encephalitis from that flu virus. The virus went to my brain and caused me to go into a coma and end up in intensive care at the hospital.

The long term effects of viral encephalitis on my life was a brain injury and long-term damage. I was very fortunate and a lot of the damage has since been reversed, but there is still some lifetime damage and long-term memory loss that is gone forever. This kind of a brain injury is called an ABI (Acquired Brain Injury).

There is wonderful information out there about brain injuries and the effects of different kinds of brain injuries on people and their families, which can be found on the website for the Brain Injury Association of Texas at: http://www.biatx.org. If you are interested in information on brain injuries, current research and help of any kind, check out this wonderful site.

Since I am in the population of those with compromised systems, I get a flu shot as soon as they are available. So, my main message here is to be careful, wash your hands frequently, sneeze into your clothing and not in the air, and try to avoid touching your face, mouth or eyes after you have touched something, until you can wash your hands. You will spread the germ fast and furiously if you do not take precautions. Teach your children (young & old) these healthy habits too.

To find out where flu shots are available in your town, check out: http://www.healthline.com. Stay healthy this year for yourself and for your loved ones!

1 comment: