Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hoarding on A & E / My Collaborative Team

There is a new show on A & E called "Hoarding." It is a reality show that shows the challenging side of hoarding. There have been three episodes so far, and the first one where there was an intervention by a professional organizer and a therapist, alongside the hoarder made the most sense for the helpfulness of the process, when it comes to working in a collaborative setting. '

Many of my hoarding clients are calling me up with excitement about the "Hoarders" show. They are so happy to see other people on T.V. that are also going through similar struggles. They seem to think this series is not as sensational as others they have seen on T.V.

With the experience that I have had as a professional organizer working with hoarders, I prefer to work collaboratively with as many people on my clients team as we can get. Currently, I am working with a hoarding client that lives alone in a four bedroom home that is almost filled to capacity. This client suffers from bipolar disorder, ADD, depression and COPD. She doesn't have family that lives close by, but does have a neighbor that checks in on her often. The woman's therapist contacted me. I went and assessed the client's situation while the therapist was there, and decided with the client where we would start the process . We agreed that we would all work collaboratively, the therapist, the client and a social worker that is also involved in this case. The woman's daughter is also involved in the process from a distance.

I feel good about our working arrangement of having a team to discuss the work with. They are here to offer my client and I support for the work that we'll be doing in the house. I will be reporting the process and progress in the house to the mental health team. The mental health team will also be working with the hoarder in their offices, continuing to discuss and support the on going therapy that is in place, along with conversations about strategies and systems that my client and I will be creating in the home. My client is excited about the process and looking forward to moving ahead. I am excited by her motivation and drive.

Here is the link to check out the new show on A & E: http://www.aetv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment